Margaret Maguire / Staff Photographer

Students sit on the lawns in front of Milbank Hall, which houses the Office of the Dean of Studies, in February.

Associate Dean for International and Intercultural Student Programs Wendy Garay has been appointed as Barnard’s first-year class dean, Dean of Studies Natalie Friedman announced in an email to students on Wednesday.

In her new role, Garay will be responsible for advising and supporting first-year students. She will replace Rebecca Grabiner, who was appointed senior class dean and college case manager in April.

Garay will also serve as senior associate dean of studies and dean for international students. Garay will continue advising international students and assisting students with study abroad questions until a new study abroad director is appointed, according to Friedman.

As dean for international and intercultural students, Garay advised on all matters pertaining to exchange and study abroad programs. Friedman praised Garay both for her implementation and execution of “innovative orientation programs for new international students” and her “extensive advising experience.”

Before joining Barnard in 2016, Garay oversaw advising at Saint Peter’s University and The New School.

“We very much look forward to having Dean Garay join the Dean of Studies team and know that her depth of experience in global education will bring fresh perspective to our increasingly diverse student population,” Friedman wrote.

susu.rawwagah@columbiaspectator.com | @susurawwagah

Wendy Garay First-Year Dean Barnard College