Susu Rawwagah / Columbia Daily Spectator

Hewitt improved on its fall violation point count by just one in Thursday’s inspection, committing a total of 13 violations. Among these was a critical sanitary violation for the presence of flies throughout the facility.

Barnard’s Hewitt Dining Hall received an A rating in its New York City Department of Health inspection on Thursday, an upgrade from the B rating it earned in October due to evidence of mice, filth flies, and improper sanitation.

According to the Department of Health, Hewitt improved on its fall violation point count by just one in Thursday’s inspection, committing a total of 13 violations. Among these was a critical sanitary violation for the presence of flies throughout the facility.

Health department ratings are based on the number and severity of such violations, and Hewitt scored just enough points to meet the Department’s A-rating cutoff.

In addition to its critical violation for the presence of flies, the dining hall also received violation points for improper construction and maintenance of non-food contact surfaces as well as for its failure to vermin-proof the facility. Reports from the health department’s website indicate that Hewitt has received violation points for its failure to vermin-proof the facility for the past three years.

Hewitt’s inspection in October had previously identified three critical sanitary violations, including presence of filth flies; evidence of mice or live mice, and failure to properly clean food contact surfaces after each use and following any activity during which contamination may have occurred.

In a statement to Spectator, a Barnard spokesperson said that Aramark, the corporation that operates Hewitt, had partnered with Barnard’s Facilities and Campus Services offices to review the dining hall’s operations after it received the B rating in the fall. To address these violations, Aramark “instituted rigorous daily inspections” and hired third-party inspectors “to ensure that it was meeting the highest standards.”

susu.rawwagah@columbiaspectator.com | @susurawwagah

Hewitt Dining Hall A Rating