LinkedIn / Courtesy of

Originally from France, Niels Chardon-Boucaud started at Columbia in the fall and was studying Industrial Engineering and Operations Research.

Niels Chardon-Boucaud, a masters student in the School of Engineering and Applied Science, died Friday, SEAS Dean Mary Boyce announced in an email sent to SEAS graduate students yesterday afternoon. He was 21 years old.

Chardon-Boucaud, who started at Columbia in the fall, was pursuing a masters degree in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research. Originally from France, Chardon-Boucaud graduated from CentraleSupélec, an institute of research and higher education in engineering and science in Paris, in 2018, where he studied electrical engineering, telecommunications, and computer science. While there, he also played soccer and was involved in organizing the elections for the Students’ Union.

In her email, Boyce encouraged students to seek support through Counseling and Psychological Services, the Office of the University Chaplain, and Tiffany Simon in the Office of Graduate Student Affairs.

According to the Columbia Health website, Counseling and Psychological Services can be reached 24 hours a day at 212-854-2878. For immediate psychiatric care, students can visit the emergency room at Mount Sinai St. Luke’s hospital at 113th street and Amsterdam avenue, which can be reached at 212-523-3347. A full list of Columbia’s health and well-being resources can be found here. To reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, call 800-273-8255.

Read Boyce’s full message below:

Dear Students,

It is with great sadness that I write with some difficult news for our community. Niels Chardon-Boucaud, a Columbia Engineering Master of Science student in IEOR from France, passed away today.

We are in contact with his family to provide support and assistance during this time.

When we lose a member of our community, we are all affected. I encourage you to rely on one another and on University resources for support. Counseling and Psychological Services can be reached at 212-854-2878 and will have extended walk-in hours today till 9 p.m. on the 5th floor of Lerner Hall. You may also seek support from Tiffany Simon in Graduate Student Affairs (212-854-6443, tms26@columbia.edu) and the Office of the University Chaplain (212-854-1493).

Please take care of yourself and those around you. I know that all of you join me in sending our deepest condolences to Niels’ family and friends, and ask that you keep them in your thoughts in the days ahead.

Sincerely,

Mary C. Boyce

Dean of Engineering

Morris A. and Alma Schapiro Professor

Soulaymane Kachani

Senior Vice Dean for Academic Affairs

Student Resources:

Columbia Counseling and Psychological Services - (212) 854-2878

Columbia Health - (212) 854-7426

Office of the University Chaplain - (212) 854-1493

Nightline - (212) 854-7777

karen.xia@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Niels Chardon-Boucaud Columbia Engineering SEAS Masters student IEOR France