File Photo / Columbia Daily Spectator

According to the email, the suspect has not yet been identified.

Public Safety has opened an investigation into a report of a nonconsensual filming in a women’s bathroom of Broadway Hall, according to an email sent to Columbia College and Engineering students Wednesday evening.

According to the email, which was sent by Executive Director of Residential Life Tara Hanna and Public Safety Morningside Operations Director Jim Fey, no suspect has yet been identified. The University declined to provide further comment.

Hanna and Fey encouraged students to be cautious in their surroundings and to report any concerns to Public Safety.

The email also requested that students with any information related to the incident contact Public Safety, their resident adviser, or the office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

Read the full email below:

Dear Columbia College and Columbia Engineering undergraduates,

We received a report of a non-consensual filming of a person in a women's bathroom of the Broadway Residence Hall. Public safety was notified and has opened an investigation.

No suspect has been identified. If you have information directly related to this incident, please contact Public Safety, your resident adviser or Student Conduct and Community Standards as soon as possible.

Public Safety: 212-854-5555 Resident Adviser on Duty: See directory. Student Conduct and Community Standards: studentconduct@columbia.edu

The University takes reports of gender-based misconduct very seriously and will be reviewing and addressing this matter in accordance with University policies and procedures. We encourage you to be cautious and alert in your surroundings, and to report any concerns to Public Safety.

We understand that an incident such as this can be upsetting. If you wish to speak with someone, Residential Life staff in your building, Counseling and Psychological Services, Nightline and others are here for you.

Sincerely,

Tara Hanna

Executive Director of Residential Life and

Associate Dean of Undergraduate Student Life

Columbia College | Columbia Engineering

Jim Fey

Director, Morningside Operations

Columbia University Public Safety

Staff writer Khadija Hussain can be contacted at khadija.hussain@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Broadway Hall Public Safety