Natalie Tischler / Staff Photographer

The three finalists for the inaugural position will be coming to campus throughout the week of March 11 to participate in lunchtime sessions with students, faculty and staff.

Updated March 11, 3:18 p.m.

As the search for a Vice President of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Community Engagement at Barnard continues, the two finalists for the inaugural position will be coming to campus throughout the week of March 11 to participate in lunchtime sessions with students, faculty and staff.

The candidate elected to the role will create and lead many of Barnard’s initiatives surrounding diversity and inclusion in the coming years, particularly as they are charged with creating Barnard’s first office of diversity, equity, and inclusion. As the chair of the Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, they will also develop an overarching plan to implement initiatives from the President’s Task Force, created by former president Deborah Spar in 2016, focused on issues including equity in the classroom, diverse faculty recruitment, and campus events on related topics.

The Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion was headed by Debra Minkoff in the 2017-18 academic year, the council’s inaugural year, and has since been chaired by Yvette Christianse, though it has lacked a permanent head since its creation due to Spar’s abrupt departure soon after the council was created.

Though three candidates were originally announced, college administrators notified students that a candidate scheduled to visit on Tuesday withdrew their application for personal reasons in an email sent March 11.

Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to attend the noontime meetings with each of the candidates on Monday, March 11, and Wednesday, March 13. They can register here.

Senior staff writer Valentina Rojas-Posada can be contacted at valentina.rojas@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

VP for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion President's Task Force Deborah Spar