Jasmine Weber / File Photo

According to Columbia Elections Council, a total of 5 candidates within Engineering Student Council were found guilty of major and minor rules violations this election cycle.

Engineering Student Council election results were released Saturday night after four days of voting. A number of races were uncontested, and at least ten do not have representatives as no candidates ran for those positions.

Alina Ying, CC ‘21, and Estevan Mesa, CC ‘22 will serve as ESC president and vice president for policy, respectively. Their party, SEAS the Change, ran on a platform of strengthening ties between council and administration and focusing on mental health-related initiatives. The party also won seats for representatives as vice president for communications, finance, and student life.

The role of SEAS senator, who sits as the sole elected undergraduate representative of SEAS within the University-wide Senate, will be filled by Joseph Hier, SEAS ‘ 21, who won in a tight race against his opponent, Giorgia Fujita, SEAS ‘20. Hier won with a margin of a little over one percent.

Following a tie for Class of 2022 Representatives, there will be a special election between Tanner Treasure, SEAS ‘22 and Eugene Fung, SEAS ‘22 next week.

Sambhav Jain, SEAS ‘20, Joanna Paik, SEAS ‘20, and Young Jae Ryu, SEAS ‘20, were all found guilty of a minor violation that prohibits candidates from endorsing posts with a “like” or “love” reaction on social media. Jain and Ryu were also found guilty of a minor violation of a policy that prohibits candidates from being affiliated with or campaigning on behalf of another party or candidate, and Jain was found guilty of another major violation for violating CEC policies that prohibit a candidate from misrepresenting factual information about themselves and attacking the character of another candidate.

Abhishek Chakraborty, SEAS ‘20, and Paik were found guilty of minor violations of a policy that prohibits candidates from endorsing other candidates who are not in their party.

Will Fesjian, SEAS ‘20, was found guilty of a minor violation of a policy that prohibits a candidate from soliciting votes in a room where voting is taking place.

Major violations incur a deduction of 10 percent of total votes, while minor violations incur a deduction of five percent divided by the number of candidates running for the position of the total number of supporting votes. Multiple major violations can result in disqualification.

Read the full election results below:

ESC President: Alina Ying (SEAS the Change Δ)

ESC Vice President for Policy: Estevan Mesa (SEAS the Change Δ)

ESC Vice President for Finance: Sophia Sagandyk (SEAS the Change Δ)

ESC Vice President for Communications: Adheli Gonzalez (SEAS the Change Δ)

ESC Vice President for Student Life: Bret Silverstein (SEAS the Change Δ)

SEAS Senate: Joe Hier

Class of 2020 President: Sambhav Jain (Mac n Seas)

Class of 2020 VP: Lal Uncu (Mac n Seas)

Class of 2020 Representatives:

Young Jae Ryu (Mac n Seas)

William Fesjian (Mac n Seas)

Class of 2021 President

Kalisa Ndamage

Class of 2021 Representative

Ethan Thayumanavan

Class of 2022 President

Naomi Kim (tis the SEASon)

Class of 2022 VP

Stephanie Guo (Uptown Funk)

Class of 2022 Reps

Nicholas Mijares (Uptown Funk)

ESC Representative for Disability and Accessibility Issues

Ahmet Cem Karadeniz

International Students Representative

Katherine Liu

Race and Ethnicity Representative

Sabrina Thomas

Unfilled roles:

Academic Affairs Representative

Campus Affairs Representative

Combined Plan 3-2 Representative

Representative for First Generation and Low-Income Issues

Representative for Gender Identity and Sexuality Issues

Sustainability Representative

Student Groups Representative

Technology Representative

Professional Development and Alumni Affairs Representative

Student Services Representative

Staff writer Madison Andrus can be contacted at madison.andrus@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

ESC Elections results Rules violations