Natalie Tischler / Staff Photographer

With a historically small endowment, revenue from tuition and fees account for 80 percent of the college’s operating budget.

Barnard will charge $55,781 in tuition for the upcoming 2019-20 academic year, Chief Operating Officer Rob Goldberg and Co-Interim Deans of the College Natalie Friedman and Alicia Lawrence announced in an email to students Friday morning.

Including the comprehensive fee—which students pay for services like Dodge Fitness Center and Student Health Services—tuition and fees at Barnard will be $57,668, up from this year’s cost of $55,032. This year’s 4.5 percent increase in tuition and fees aligns with last year’s increase, which also amounted to a 4.5 percent.

With a historically small endowment, revenue from tuition and fees account for 80 percent of the college’s operating budget. As such, any increase to the college’s operating budget necessitates the continual increase of tuition and fees. Tuition and fees at Barnard have risen by over 25 percent since 2010.

“We continue to work hard to relieve the pressure from tuition increases through ambitious fundraising and minimizing costs where possible. We must maintain the quality of services that we provide our community and the financial support we provide our students. Tuition and fees represent our single largest source of revenue to Barnard, allowing the College to continue to enhance the quality of your educational experience,” the email said.

The email also stated that the flat-rate yearly room cost for Barnard dormitories will be $10,826 per student, regardless of room type. This is up from the current yearly rate of $10,435 per year, and will encompass the cost of unlimited laundry service for all students in Barnard residence halls beginning fall 2019.

The listed housing rate does not include the traditionally pricier cost of studio singles in the Barnard residence hall 601 West 110th Street, which have been excluded from the Barnard housing lottery due to ongoing lease negotiations. Currently, studio singles cost $8,500 per semester versus the standard Barnard room rate of $5,217.50.

In the coming year, Barnard and the Empirical Reasoning Center will be reviewing textbook usage for students and faculty to help reduce the cost of course materials moving forward. Additionally, although Barnard will be switching to its new food service provider, Chartwells, the structure of meal plans will remain the same for the 2019-20 academic year, though costs are yet to be determined.

The announcement comes after Dean of Columbia College James Valentini projected that tuition and fees for Columbia College and the School of Engineering and Applied Science will reach an all-time high of $62,000, making it the most expensive undergraduate school in the nation.

Correction: A previous version of this article said that the costs of undergraduate meal plans at Barnard will remain the same, when in reality, the structure will remain the same but the costs have yet to be determined. Spectator regrets this error.

Staff writer Heather Loepere can be contacted at heather.loepere@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Barnard Tuition Endowment