Courtesy of / LinkedIn

Prior to his time at GS, McLeod, who went by Bert, served in the U.S. Navy for almost five years.

Eubert McLeod, a junior at the School of General Studies and a navy veteran, has died, GS Dean Lisa Rosen-Metsch announced in an email to students on Thursday.

Prior to his time at GS, McLeod, who went by Bert, served in the U.S. Navy for almost five years, and completed his service as a Second Class Petty Officer on the USS Mobile Bay.

Planning to become a civil rights lawyer, McLeod studied Human Rights and was also interested in Russian and Slavic cultures, according to the email. Rosen-Metsch added that those who worked with him characterized him as a hard-working, humble, and good-natured.

In light of his passing, the GS Dean of Students Office will have walk-in hours until 5 p.m., and staff members from the office as well as from Counseling and Psychological Services will be available in the Baer Room of Lewisohn Hall until 2 p.m.

Information about Columbia’s Counseling and Psychological Services can be found here, and about Barnard’s Furman Counseling Center can be found here. Columbia Nightline provides free, anonymous peer listening services and can be reached at 212-854-7777 from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. A full list of GS and Columbia health and well-being resources can be found here.

News editor Karen Xia can be contacted at karen.xia@columbiaspectator.com. Follow her on Twitter @xia_karen.